Friday, October 21, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

I love the Pioneer Woman.  If I could be her I would.  I wish my blog was as cool and well organized as hers.  I have made a bunch of her recipes and they are always delicious.  She even has a Food Network show now, The Pioneer Woman.  I'm picky about the cooking shows I watch and I love hers.  It has the perfect mix of cooking and real life mixed in.  A show I truly miss is What Would Brian Boitano Make?  I wish that show would come back on.

Ok, back to dinner.  This is one of my favorite recipes, I feel like I say that a lot, but then again, why would I cook something if it wasn't good? :)

I originally found this recipe in this amazing cookbook.


Not only am I picky about cooking shows, I'm picky about cookbooks.  Very rarely do I buy one.  There's too many good recipes in magazines and on the internet!  But this one came with rav reviews from many, many people.  Jon got the cookbook for me for my birthday a few years ago.  Not only does it have great recipes, with step-by-step instructions including pictures-- a huge plus for me-- but it has many other amazing pictures from Ree's day to day life.  All the pictures make me want to live in the country on a ranch!

My cell phone pictures do not do this cookbook justice.

Here's a link to the original recipe which is slightly different than the recipe in the book.  Below is how I make my version of Ree's Chicken Pot Pie.  The one major difference is I don't make my own crust.  I use store bought pre-made, find it in the refrigerated section, pie crust.  I'm sure this recipe would be a million times better with homemade crust but I don't have the time or desire to make homemade pie crust.  Hence, I'm not as cool as the Pioneer Woman. Also, it's super delicious even with store bought pie crust I haven't had the desire to try it with homemade pie crust.

For the chicken I use a Costco rotisserie chicken.  I've tried rotisserie chickens for other stores and they just aren't as good.  I take as much meat off of the breasts and drumsticks as I can and call it good.  It ends up being about 2 cups, or close enough that I call it 2 cups.



Chicken Pot Pie
Prep time 15 mins
Active cook time 30 mins
Oven cook & cool time 40 mins
Serves 6-8

1 box premade pie crust (2 pie crusts total)
1/2 stick butter
1 large onion finely diced
3 carrots finely diced
3 celery stalks finely diced
1 cup frozen peas
2 cups diced chicken
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon dried chopped thyme
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Remove the pie crusts from the box and allow to warm up while preparing the rest of the recipe, or at least 15 minutes.
3. Melt butter in a skillet or dutch oven. Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook until translucent.
4. Add the peas and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add chicken and mix well.
6. Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir. Cook over medium heat for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly.
7. Pour in chicken broth, stirring constantly.
8. Pour in cream.
9. Bring to a slow boil and allow mixture to cook and thicken.  (This can take up to 10-15 minutes, you want this thick like gravy, not runny, or the final product won't turn out right.)
10. Add salt and pepper to taste and thyme.
11. Pour mixture into a casserole dish or deep pie pan.
12. Place one crust on top of the pot pie mixture and repeat with the second crust, press crust into the sides of the dish. Cut vents in the top of the crust.
13. Place pie on a baking sheet covered in foil, it will over flow while baking and this will save a mess in your oven! Bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is very golden and the inside is bubbly.
14. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.

Step 9
I could seriously eat this mixture alone, Eli loves it! Or over mashed potatoes, it's so yummy.

Step 12
Ready for the oven!

Cooling
I was very proud of this pot pie. It looks pretty and was super, super yummy!

Yumminess to the max!

This isn't a quick recipe, but it is an easy recipe.  If you prep everything ahead of time it goes faster as well.  I highly recommend giving this one a try!

1 comment:

  1. This recipe is so worth the time. It makes those little nasty frozen Swanson's pies look like the hockey pucks they are. It even has vegetables so you can pretend it's healthy.

    ReplyDelete