We had Turkey Taco Salads for dinner about a week ago. This is a meal that I created all on my own. I'm quite proud of it. It's really yummy, plus it comes together quick.
Turkey Taco Salad
Prep time 5 mins
Cook time 30 mins
Serves 2 (with lots of leftover meat)
1 package ground turkey
1/4 cup water
1 small onion, chopped
1 small can diced green chilies
1 can black beans
Romaine lettuce (1 head per person)
1. Brown the ground turkey over medium high heat. Depending on your pan you may need to add a little oil to the pan first.
2. After the turkey is brown, add the taco seasoning, I use about one packet. You can add as much or as little as you'd like. Add 1/4 cup of water and cook until the water is gone.
3. Add the chopped onion and cook until the onion is soft and brown on the edges.
4. Add the can of chilies and cook about 5 mins.5. Drain and rinse the can of beans. Add to the turkey mixture and cook until the beans are warmed.
6. Chop the lettuce anyway you'd like.
7. Mix a little sour cream and salsa together to make a dressing.
8. Add half the lettuce to a bowl. Top with turkey mixture, cheese and dressing. Serve with tortilla chips on the side for a nice crunch.
One nice thing about this recipe is how much extra turkey you will end up with. We only used enough of the turkey for two salads. We used the leftovers for quesedillas and soft tacos. Plus there was still more leftover that I had to throw away due to age.
Ground turkey is a great alternative to ground beef. I'm always looking for fun new ways to use ground turkey. If you have a great recipe to pass along, let me know!