Friday, September 2, 2011

Bool Kogi

Tonight's dinner was Bool Kogi, jasmine rice and peas.  We love this meal in our house!

I use a pre-marinated meat from Trader Joe's for my Bool Kogi.


I'm sure you could find a "from scratch" recipe for this, I've just never done much research into it.  This is one of the items I like to keep around for quick meals.  I normally have a package of Bool Kogi either in my fridge or freezer.  I've found if I keep one or two quick and easy meals around I'm more likely to cook when our plans change.  (Just not over the last two weeks!)  That's another reason I love menu planning.  I typically have one or two quick meals built into each week.  That way if plans change I can easily move items around knowing that I have everything on hand.  Ok sorry for the sidetrack, back to the Bool Kogi.

There are two ways to cook Bool Kogi, on the grill and on the stove top.  On the grill is best, but we're still without a decent grill; the stove top is fine, just not as good.  When I cook Bool Kogi on the stove I use our 12 inch cast iron pan. And here are the steps:

1. Heat a large heavy duty pan over high heat, let the pan get very hot.  If you're using a stainless steel pan you'll want to add a little oil so the meat doesn't stick.  Our cast irons are perfectly "seasoned" so I rarely have to add oil to them when cooking.
2.  Once the pan is very hot place a single layer of meat in the pan.  Cook for 3-4 minutes.
3.  Turn the meat and cook another 3-4 minutes.
4.  Remove the meat from the heat and let sit for 2-3 minutes. Repeat for the rest of the meat.
5.  Eat!

Mmmmm...


Serve with rice and a veggie, we're big pea eaters in our house, and you're set.  I like to add a little butter and salt to my rice, Jon likes his rice plain.  This meal hit the spot tonight!


I have no idea what's for dinner tomorrow night.  I haven't gone grocery shopping in two weeks.  (Thank heavens we get our milk delivered and have had the farmer's market around to get fresh fruit!)  Not only do I need to go shopping for dinner stuff we need lunch and breakfast stuff STAT!

The boys have been happily enjoying lots of mac & cheese and grilled cheese for lunch.  Jon's been getting the leftovers (when I've actually cooked!) and I've been digging in the bottom of the freezer using up my "quick" lunches.  I really need to go grocery shopping tomorrow!  Who knows if I'll even cook... it kind of feels like it's going to be a Qdoba night to me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment