Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tools of the Trade-- Rub-A-Way Bar

We use lots of onions and garlic in our house.  When you prep onions and garlic your hands get stinky.  I've tried many ways to deal with the stinkiness over the years.  My methods of coping have been (but not limited to) washing my hands a 1,000 times, wearing rubber gloves when prepping and just dealing with stinky hands.  None of those options every made me happy. 

I'd see Rub-A-Way bars at Crate & Barrel and Bed, Bath & Beyond for years.  I always just assumed they were a gimmick.  I got tired of having stinky hands a few years ago and finally bought a Rub-A-Way Bar from Crate & Barrel.  (Side note-- I love Crate & Barrel and could spend hours, if not days, walking around making a list of all the things I want, no need, from there!) To my surprise the bar worked like magic!

Top view

Side View

The bar is super easy to use.  You "wash" your hands with it like you would a bar of soap.  Just water and the bar, no soap need.  The bar is made of stainless steel and from my web research, it appears the steel bonds with the sulfur in stinky foods therefore removing the stinkiness from your hands.

I've read you can also just rub your hands across a stainless steel knife, I've tried this method and it didn't work for me.  I think the Rub-A-Way bar is better because there is more surface area and you don't have to worry about cutting yourself!

I used my Rub-A-Way bar last night  after I turned 3 medium onions


into sauteed deliciousness for our brats.


1 comment:

  1. As a man, I'm always up for another tool. The bonus is it leads to more sauteed onions!

    ReplyDelete