Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Leftovers

This isn't really the best way to start out, things will get better and more exciting, I promise!

We had leftover enchiladas tonight. Eli (my youngest son) had swim class until 6:30, so by the time we got home there was no time to cook. I made a big batch of enchiladas last night so we'd have leftovers for today.

I intend to take pictures of my dinners, but there's no picture tonight. Leftovers don't take good pictures. I'm sure I'll post about my enchilada method in the future, tonight it's all about the sauce.

I've always used enchilada sauce packets. You know the kind you just add tomato sauce to? Recently I decided to try making my own. After a few Google searches, one try at a recipe that I wasn't happy with, and more Google searches, I finally found a great recipe. It came from the website www.home-ec101.com This was my first visit to this site but now that I've found it I'm excited to keep up to date with it. It looks fun and helpful. Here's a link to the originial recipe.

Here's how I made the recipe. I doubled it, plus added more garlic powder and added onion powder. (We like garlic and onions in the Cantrell house.)


Simple Homemade Enchilada Sauce Recipe
(adapted from www.home-ec101.com)

4 TBSP Vegetable oil
4 TBSP all purpose flour
4 TBSP chili powder
2 rounded tsp cumin
4 cups chicken broth (1 carton)
15 oz tomato sauce (1 can)
2 tsp salt
1 TBSP garlic powder
1 TBSP onion powder

Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium low heat. When the oil is hot, whisk in flour and chili powder. Cook for one – two minutes just long enough to get rid of the raw flour taste. Whisk in the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.

Super easy, super quick and super yummy-- my kind of recipe-- enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment