Saturday, July 30, 2011

Too many new things...a day late.

We had our steak dinner last night. Overall, I was a little disappointed, hence I didn't blog last night and folded 5 baskets of laundry instead.

My husband BBQ'd the steaks. I made mushroom couscous and my in-laws brought over fresh salad fixings. It looked like I had a salad bar in my house. It was awesome, fresh lettuce, red cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, sunflower seeds...the list goes on, I was in heaven. If I ever open a restaurant it will be a salad bar restaurant and even if I'm the only one that eats there I will be in heaven. Oh and we BBQ'd peaches for dessert.

For steaks we typically use this Santa Maria seasoning. It is wonderful. We use it on chicken a lot as well. During a recent Mom's Group event I received this steak seasoning by Tom Douglas:so I decided to give it a try. It was good, but not as good as our Santa Maria. This rub was quite a bit sweeter, the Santa Maria's is more savory.

For the couscous I used this recipe that I found during a Google search. I added sauteed shallots and pine nuts as well. The couscous turned out ok. I doubled the recipe, but didn't have two packages of dried mushrooms so I used just plain water for the extra liquid. I think it would have been way better with the right amount of mushrooms and mushroom broth.

I also sauteed some fresh mushrooms. My mushroom recipe is easy, get a package of whole mushrooms, quarter them and saute them in butter. I love mushrooms, raw or cooked. I like to keep my mushrooms simple.

Below is a picture of the meal. Not the best picture, while I love my iPhone it isn't really good at taking good pictures of food.

Oh here's my delicious salad...yum!
We bought a big box of peaches at the farmer's market on Thursday and the plan was to make peach cobbler. The peaches were still a little firm so we decided to try and BBQ the peaches instead. I am continually hearing how good grilled peaches are so was excited to give it a try. After lots of internet searching I decided on this recipe. I didn't use the basil though, I'm not a big fan of fresh basil. I was a little apprehensive of the balsamic vinegar, but almost every recipe I found called for it. (I'm glad I used it, I really liked the flavor it added.) As I'm sure you can tell from the picture, the peaches turned out just eh. I think either our grill was too cold or the peaches too firm. We are going to try again once the peaches are riper. The vanilla ice cream was super yummy with the peach juices though!

Hopefully the next time I cook I'll be more excited with the results. :) That's what I get for trying too many new things in one meal!

1 comment:

  1. Seriously the salad sounds sooooooo good right now! I'm jonesing for some spinach!

    ReplyDelete