Thursday, July 28, 2011

Picnic Dinner

Every Thursday evening the community center in North Bend has a farmer's market. Eli also has swim class at the same community center on Thursdays. It's not a very big market, but we're happy with it. Carter LOVES the farmer's market, mainly because they have Hawaiian Shave Ice.

One of my favorite summer traditions is visiting the market and then staying for a picnic dinner. Unfortunately, we're still waiting for summer to arrive in Western Washington and we haven't had good enough weather to have our picnic dinners. We finally had the perfect weather today. It was around 74 degrees, warm, but not too warm, and sunny, but not too sunny.

Here's what I packed for our picnic dinner, yes I tend to over pack. A lot of the items are from Trader Joe's. I LOVE Trader Joe's. I'm sure I'll be expressing my love for that store quite a bit through out this blog.


One of Eli's favorite things to do is play in our pantry. He pulls out all shorts of random things and is always very proud of himself. While I was packing our picnic dinner, he had access to the pantry. This is what Eli thought we should pack for the picnic:

It's become a tradition that Carter and I share a Hawaiian Shave Ice while Daddy and Eli do swim class. It's one of my favorite Mommy and Carter times. I look forward to it every week. :)
The best part of the Shave Ice? The funny tongue colors! The flavors lime, blue raspberry and grape make this color:
During dinner we got to listen to some music, sorry I forget the band's name. The music was fun with a good beat and the boys had a blast clapping and dancing along.

Next week I'll have to take a video of Carter dancing, it's super cute!

Jon and I also treated ourselves to some fresh handmade tamales at the market. They were delicious. Carter was super excited because he got to pick fruit from the market to go with dinner. He picked peaches, an apricot and blueberries. :)

Tomorrow night I'll be doing some real cooking, steaks, sauteed mushrooms and couscous. I'm already hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment