Wednesday, August 3, 2011

BACON!

I was never a big fan of bacon. And then I met my future husband. Through his love of all that is bacon, I've become a fan. He loves telling the story of the time he was in Hawaii and went to the best breakfast buffet. He had a plate of bacon. That's right, nothing else except bacon. (My response? "Please tell me you ate some fresh, wonderful Hawaiian fruit to counter act the bacon!")

Over the years I've grown to respect bacon. Bacon, good bacon, is heaven. But it has to be good bacon. We get our bacon from a butcher, our favorite butcher. If you live anywhere near Issaquah, WA you need to go to Fischer Meats. They slice the bacon to order. Thick, thin, or medium like I ask for it. Plus they have everything else a butcher should have. And they are friendly!

Tonight's dinner was BLTs. BLTs are simple, fast and delicious. In case you're crazy insane and have never had a BLT here's how you make one.

One slice of toasted bread.
A little mayo.
Lettuce.
Tomatoes.
Bacon.
A little mayo.
One slice of toasted bread.

That's just the basic construction. The possibilities and combinations are really endless. You can use any bread you want. Jon likes white bread, I like hearty wheat bread. (This bread is hands down my favorite bread ever. It's the only wheat I can get Jon to eat without him complaining I'm a hippie.) You can use any type of lettuce or tomato you want. You can, like Jon, add cheese (tonight it was Monterey Jack) or like me add avocados.
Here's all the fixins' (please excuse my pathetic avocado. It's hard to get a good avocado in Washington!)


Really a BLT is a "choose your own adventure" kind of meal. You can even pick some fun side dishes. Tonight we had fresh sliced peaches and salads.

Mmmmm, bacon.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmm... Bacon. These were delicious. As a side bonus, the kids loved gobbling up the extra bacon.

    ReplyDelete