Sunday, August 28, 2011

Pork Chops and Orzo

Hooray, I'm finally blogging a recipe! This was Friday night's dinner.  I was too tired to blog the last two nights.  I didn't really cook Saturday night. We spent a long day at the beach I didn't want to cook when we got home, so I had a salad and Jon and the boys had bacon and scrambled eggs.  So I guess I kind of cooked, but not really.  Tonight we went out for dinner. But at least I cooked --one-- time this week! ;)

There are actually recipes I came up with.  I'm quite proud of them.

The supplies

Pork Chops
Prep time 1 min
Cook time 10 mins

1-2 Packages of thin cut pork chops
1 Cup Italian bread crumbs
1 Egg
1/4 Cup Milk
Olive oil

1. Warm the olive oil, I don't have an exact amount, in a large heavy pan over medium high heat.  The oil should come up the side of the pan about half an inch.  I use our cast iron pans for this, they are the best for frying.
2. While waiting for the oil to heat up, put the bread crumbs in a boil.  In a separate bowl combine the egg and milk and beat.
3.  Once the oil is warmed up, if you sprinkle water in the oil it should quickly evaporate, dip one of the pork chops in the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumbs.  Place the pork chop in the pan and continue until the pan is full, but not overfull. Our small cast iron fits 3 nicely, the large 4.
4.  Cook the pork chops for 3-4 minutes a side, until done.  I cook my pork to 160 degrees.
5.  Repeat steps 3 and 4 until all the pork chops are cooked.

I use thin cut pork chops, these kind


because they cook quickly.  I normally use two packages, or 2 pounds or so so we have leftovers.  Onto the pasta!

Yumminess in the making

Garlic Parmesan Orzo
Prep time 1 min
Cook time 15 min

1 Box of orzo
2-3 Tbsp garlic salt
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 Parmesan cheese

1.  Cook the box of orzo per the package directions.
2.  Drain orzo and place back into the pan you cooked the pasta in.
3.  Add the butter, stir, add the garlic salt, stir, add the Parmesan cheese, stir.  Mix well and serve.

Dinner is served!

I served dinner with fresh corn on the cob.  It didn't really go with the meal, but it was at a local fruit stand  and sounded good.  Plus I wanted to make sure I used it before it went bad.  (Which was good seeing as I didn't cook the next two days!)

I didn't get to grocery shop this weekend, we were too busy having fun! So tomorrow's dinner is going to be something I have on hand, orange chicken, rice and spring rolls.  I've already blogged about that dinner but I am going to try to think of something else to blog about.  I've missed blogging and want to get back in the habit of blogging every night.  Hopefully I think of something fun and exciting! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment