Saturday, August 6, 2011

Comfort Food

Comfort food is the best kind of food. No matter what mood I'm in or how bad my day has been, my comfort foods can always give me a moment or two of happiness.

My mom didn't cook much when I was growing up. She did make dinner, but she didn't do a lot from scratch. She did a lot of baking though, yummy baking. I'm still a little timid on the baking front.

One dish she made a lot was cabbage and noodles. Cabbage and noodles is either a dish you love (like my brother and me) or hate (like my husband and sister in law.) I've tried a thousand times to get Jon to like cabbage and noodles, it hasn't worked. (Just like he'll never get me to like corned beef-- yuck!)

This recipe takes a bit of time, it's not something to make if you're in a hurry. But it is super easy, with only 4 ingredients, and it takes very little cooking skills. :)

Cabbage & Noodles
1 head of cabbage
1 bag of egg noodles (these are my favorite, but I can't find them locally so I use plain ol egg noodles and I really don't need 12 bags on hand)
1 stick of butter (you may not need the whole stick)
Salt

Melt half a stick of butter in an electric skillet set to 300 degrees or in a pan on medium heat. Cut the cabbage into approx 1 inches pieces and add to the butter. (I love the color of raw cabbage, it's so pretty.)


Cook the cabbage until it's nice and brown. This step takes some patience and time. Make sure you taste often and add salt as needed. Like a watched pot that never boils, watched cabbage never browns. It took about an hour for my cabbage to get nice and brown today. Make sure to stir the cabbage often, if it starts to stick add a little more butter.
Once the cabbage is browned, turned the heat down to warm on the skillet or low on the stove. Boil the noodles and then add the cooked noodles to the cabbage plus a little more butter.
At this point you could eat the cabbage and noodles or you could wait another half hour to hour and enjoy a much better dish. (If you let it sit, make sure to stir every now and then and add more butter if it starts to stick.) Believe me it's worth the wait. The flavors blend together and the whole dish tastes so much better. Leftovers are the best. I never make this dish for a specific meal. It's always to have as a go to. Breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, it doesn't matter cabbage and noddles is an anytime food for me!

I guess I should metion, we didn't have this for dinner, we ate at Qdoba. But I did cook this this morning. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment