Friday, August 5, 2011

Pizza!

Are you ready for my favorite cooking tip?

Make homemade pizza in a cast iron pan. Seriously. I know it sounds crazy, I was skeptic the first time I tried it, but its awesome.

We love making homemade pizza (or home pizza as Carter calls it) but we always had a hard time with the dough. The dough would either stick to the cooking surface (no matter how many different surfaces or anti-sticking tricks we tired) or the dough would be raw and the top of the pizza would be burnt. But not when cooked in a cast iron. Our pizzas, top to bottom, turn out great every time now.
This isn't the best trick if you're trying to make lots of pizzas, but for one or two it works great. We're lucky enough to have two cast iron pans so we can make a grown up (see recipe below) pizza and a kid (pineapple and bacon, Carter's favorite) pizza at the same time.

I learned this trick from this recipe. I love this pizza, it hits the spot every time I make it. Plus it is super easy to make. One tip, make sure you slice the mushrooms very thin, that way when they cook you don't end up with extra moisture from the mushrooms on top of the pizza. Oh and I double the amount of goat cheese. I have recently learned to like goat cheese, but now that I have, I'm slightly addicted to it's wonderful tanginess.

Leek, Mushroom & Pesto Pizza
adapted from Woman's Day
4 oz mushrooms, very thinly sliced
1 small leek (white and light green parts only), halved crosswise and lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 Tbsp olive oil
Kosher salt and pepper
1 lb pizza dough
2 Tbsp pesto
4 oz fresh goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)

Recipe Preparation
1. Heat oven to 425°F. In a large bowl, toss the mushrooms, leek, oil, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.

2. Shape the pizza dough into a 12-in. round and place in the bottom and slightly up the sides of a large (10- to 12-in.) cast-iron skillet.

3. Spread the pesto over the dough, leaving a 1/4-in. border. Top with the vegetables and sprinkle with the goat cheese. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.


Before:

After:

Pure heaven.

3 comments:

  1. Let me rephrase that, can you SEND me the crust recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cheat & use store bought dough. My favorite is Trader Joe's. It's only $1.29 a pound. I use to make from scratch but at TJ's price it's just not worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete