Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Hawaiian delight!

I don't know how Hawaiian these really are but I don't care. They are delicious.


Here's the original recipe, below is my version. I use www.cooks.com for a lot of my recipe searches. It's a great website because it offers lots of recipes for the same dish, just with slight variations. From what I can tell it's a website where the average cook can post their recipe.


Hawaiian Meatballs
adapted from www.cooks.com

1 1/2 lb. ground beef
2/3 c. cracker crumbs
1/3 c. minced/chopped dried onion
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 c. milk
1 tbsp. shortening
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 can pineapple tidbits (13 1/2 oz.)
1/3 c. vinegar
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1/3 c. green pepper, chopped

Drain pine1apple, reserving liquid.
Mix meat, crumbs, onion, egg, salt, ginger and milk. Shape mixture into balls, approx a tablespoon of meat per ball.
Melt shortening in large skillet over medium-high heat; brown and cook meatballs.
Remove meatballs and keep warm. I do this by preheating the oven to the lowest setting, 170 degrees on our oven, and putting the meatballs in the oven while the sauce cooks.
Pour fat from skillet.
Mix cornstarch and sugar, stir in pineapple syrup, vinegar, and soy sauce until smooth.
Pour into skillet; use medium heat, stirring constantly until thick and boiling. Cook 1 minute.
Add meatballs, tidbits and green pepper. Heat thoroughly.
Serve over hot cooked rice.


These are the best tasting meatballs I've ever made. The texture is prefect and the meatballs stay together and don't crumble apart as they cook. The next time I make spaghetti and meatballs I am going to use this basic meatball recipe, but leave out the ginger and add onion powder and garlic powder instead

And this is how I know Jon approves of a meal.


2 comments:

  1. These are the kinds of recipes that scare me, but I want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're so delicious. Go for it. Meatballs and pineapple and the pan sauce is to die for.

    ReplyDelete